Around Mysore in 2 days – My Solo Bike Trip Experience - By Mahesh Chandra



Planning a weekend is a very challenging task in every one’s life. I just wanted to escape the weekends in and around Bangalore and explore the nature with lots of fun and adventure. I lead a life where-in normality is very boring and unorthodox. It was yet another weekend with an additional 2 days approved leave I had availed to explore this adventure on my bike.
For me, it’s was more than a years’ time that I had not been on a bike ride (last ride being to Lepakshi Hindupur), so I was excited and up for it.
My Itinerary was for 2 days. As per my schedule I had to cover these tourist places on day 1 and that included
  • Mekedatu
  • Shivanasamudram falls
  • Talakadu
  • Somanathpura temple
  • BR Hills


Day 2 Itinerary included
  • Chamundi hills
  • Zoological park
  • Mysore palace
  • Ranganathittu
  • Tippu sultan’s Daria Daulath Bhag
  • Sri Ranga Temple


I decided to ride solo on my HONDA unicorn 150 cc bike and on Friday itself ensured that my bike was all good and fit for this journey (serviced in time and ensured to fill full tank). I left the early morning of Saturday @ 7:30 am from Bangalore and drove around for about 50 kms to stop at Sri Srinivas Sagar hotel, Kanakpura for breakfast. I had a light breakfast and moved forward towards Mekedatu.
I reached Sangam around 9:15 AM and got into coracle ride to reach other side of the river to visit Mekedattu. After reaching the other side, bus was waiting for to take us to the location. When I reached the location, there was a railing (kind of high point) to see the water flow as the road to go down was shut down. I was in such a disbelief by seeing this as many a people told me so many things about the place. The place was fenced so that no one can go down. I managed to go down and climb the rocks to see the water to a closer distance. One thing which stood out is the impact of water on the rocks, it pierced through the stones in ways which describes why its so dangerous. I took pictures , some selfies there and relaxed for a while.
After an hour or so, I moved back to the top where in few bunch of people were agitated that they were not allowed to go down as forest officials arrived at the place. I ignored those fellas and hopped the bus which dropped us back at Sangam. I was in no mood to get into water as I had many places on my list to cover for the rest of the day, so I did what I loved most, took pictures of those moments.  After all the fun, I started immediately for next adventure and that was shivanasamudra falls, Sivanasamudra is a small city in the Mandya District where cauvery river divides into two falls (the left segment is called Gaganachukki and the right segment is called Bharachukki. In reality the Bharachukki falls are a few kilometers to the south-west of the Gaganachukki falls).Further, I drove via Malavalli and I reached shivanasamudra falls at around 12:30 pm. It was noon and with scorching heat and sunshine. I had some tender coconut and some fruits at the tourist spot. Entrance fees is Rs.15.
I really did not feel excited to watch the falls as I felt that I had visited this falls at the wrong time of the year (December) as the flow of water falls was very less and just a narrow stream flowing. Realized that the time of best flow are the monsoon season of July to October.  Stayed at this spot for around 30 minutes, took selfies and captured the beautiful mountain landscape on my Sony cyber shot handycam (and some on my mobile phone). It was 1:10 PM and so it was time for me to have my lunch, but as I could not find any good hotel around, so I just visited a bakery nearby and had some junk food stuffs and also got some parcels for the next journey.

Meanwhile I also ensured not to miss out to visit the Asia’s first Hydro electric power generating station which is just 0.5 kms from the falls and is still functional. This station was commissioned by the Diwan of Mysore, Sir K. Seshadri Iyer. The panoramic view was just awesome.

Next was to visit Talakadu . So I took the help of local people who very well assisted me and guided me to a short cut road which was a 32 kms drive to Talakadu. I saved around 10 kms by taking this shortcut . Reached Talakadu exactly at 2:30 PM . As usual entrance fees is Rs.15 per person. Parked my bike , removed my shoes and kept all my belongings at the entrance.
Talakadu is a desert-like town on the left bank of the Kaveri river It once had over 30 temples, most of which now lay buried in sand. Talakadu is also tagged to the curse called “Curse of Talakadu” by Alamelamma on the Wodeyar dynasty (erstwhile Maharajas) of Mysore.
I visited all the 5 important shiva temples buried beneath the sand (the Pathaleshwara, Maruleshwara, Arkeshwara, Vaidyanatheshwara and Mallikarjuna temples, the five Lingas believed to represent the five faces of Shiva, form the Pancha pathi ). But, the entire old city Talkād is completely buried beneath the hills of sand stretching for nearly a mile in length, only the tops of two pagodas being visible. 
Photography was strictly prohibited inside the temple premises, so I just took some pics from outside and some selfies of myself. I had really walked a lot through the sand, was feeling tired and rested for some time. Had some food, lot of liquid stuffs.
I had nearly spent 2 hours of my time at talakadu as I had to cover all the 5 temples of lord shiva. The time was 4:30 PM and  I had to go as per my itinerary and was left with somamnathapura temple for the day 1 of my tour.

I immediately started and it was again that I had to cover a distance of 30 kms from talakadu to somanathapura. I reached T Narasipura , but someone mis guided me and so I took a wrong turn, drove for some 8 kms and further out of doubt I asked a local guy who made me realize that I had to take a U turn and reach to the flyover and drive for another 9 kms to reach somnathapura. It was already 5:10 PM, and I was very skeptical whether I could make it to the final destination of my day 1. Yes, I made it and it was already exactly 5:25 PM and the temple closing hours was at 5:30 PM, with just  5 minutes to close for the day, the security politely denied  / refused to allow me as it was no use as I could not cover the historical temple within 5 minutes. So I was bit frustrated and never mind I thought will make it sometime in near future.

So my day 1 itinerary was all covered as per the schedule, Good that my Honda bike. never gave me any problem in terms of break down or puncture or anything else. I was getting a good mileage as well. It was time to leave to the royal city of Mysore. I left somanathapura at 5:45 PM and took the Mysore bypass highway road and reached Mysore exactly at 6:30 PM. I had a Pre-reservation and so accommodation was not a problem at all. Reached hotel and took a bath followed by a lavish Dinner and relaxed for the night.

Day 2.

Got up at around 6:00 Am, had a Mysore filter coffee, took a shower, Nice breakfast at Mylari hotel (Famous for Butter Saagu Dosa). Started my day towards the most powerful God of Mysore, the great Chamundi hills. It just took me 20 minutes to reach to the top of the hills as the road to the hills is just awesome, very clean and no any potholes. It was exact 8:30 Am when I reached the hills. There was huge crowd (queue) and so I bought a VIP ticket and had a quick darshan followed by prasadam .

The time was 9:30 Am when I started from the hills, drove down the hills for around 2 kms, visited the big bull basavanna temple. Had a quick darshan and parked my bike at the hill view top. The view was just magnificent and it was breath taking as I could see the entire Mysore city and also enjoyed the fresh cool air blowing on my face.

As I had to cover other destinations, so did not feel like wasting time anywhere unnecessarily. I reached the chamarajendra zoo at around 10:00 am. The Zoo just opened for the day and I paid Rs.50 towards entrance fees and started to walk through the zoo by watching all types of birds, carnivorous animals, reptiles, mammals, etc. Spent at least an hour & half in the Zoo. The main attraction was the birds from many parts of South America, Africa , Australia, etc and the huge Green Anaconda from the amazon forest.
Next I immediately drove to the Mysore palace, which is just 1.5 kms from the Zoo. Same again an entrance fees of Rs.50 per head. I had a quick glance of the entire palace as I had been to this palace many times before since my childhood days.
It was 12:30 PM when I came out from the palace. I headed straight to the Purohith Veg Restaurant. Here you get all type of Indian Thalis. Best place to have authentic north indian foodI had a combo of Rajasthani and Gujarathi thali. I felt it very homely as the food is extremely tasty, simple and no masala or added preservatives.

There was no point in visiting KRS brindavan gardens as it was still Noon and as I was aware the real entertainment at KRS starts at evening with colorful musical fountain.But I have been to KRS many times since childhood days. So I really did not feel that I am missing out a must sightseeing destination.

It was already 1:30 PM, so I straight away headed to the famous Ranganathittu bird sanctuary which is just 8 kms from Mysore (on the Bangalore – Mysore highway). The entrance fees here is Rs.100 per head. I entered the sanctuary at 2:00 Pm and first visited the Dr.Salim Ali ornithology museum. Then the actual bird viewing sight . There were hundreds of various species of birds (some of them have migrated as far from Australia & African continent) and the main thing which attracted my attention was the presence of crocodiles in the river basin. I was able to count atleast 25 of them at one particular spot resting on a steep rocks. I decided not to go for boating in this crocodile infested river. I sat on a bench and took a video clip of the birds singing, flying from one tree to another. etc for about 5 minutes. I spent and enjoyed 1 hour of my time at this bird sanctuary and decided that I will come back next time and spend an entire day to record the melodious voice of these birds.

It was 3:00 pm and I headed straight to the historical city of Srirangapatna. This place is famous for 2 things. One is the ruined forts of the erstwhile ruler and King Tippu Sultan and the second one is for the famous abode of Lord Sriranga. So first I visited the Tippu Sultan’s palace known as The Daria daulath, here the entry fee is just Rs.15 and I walked through the palace and garden. This monument is well maintained by the archaeological India. I was excited to see all the artefacts kept intact of the erstwhile ruler. This included his royal clothes, sofa set, dining table, cot, chair, etc followed by his famous sword and war ammunitions.

Here also I had spent an hour’s time and it was 4:00 PM and so I headed straight to the Sri Ranga temple and as I knew some local politicians, so I got through the VIP entrance lane and the darshan was over within half an hour. I came out of the temple & I felt happy that I had covered almost all the places on my itinerary and it was time to get back to home. The time was 5:15 pm on my watch and it was time to say bye to mysore.
Filled my bike at the gas station and headed back to Bangalore. On the way I stopped at the famous Tiffany’s restaurant at Maddur which is really famous for mouth watering hot maddur vadas. I had 3 maddur vadas with hot filter coffee and also took some vadas for parcel to relish once I get back to home. So left Maddur and reached Bidadi by around 7:30 pm late evening. Bidadi is famous for hot thatte Idlies. I had nice hot iddlies and felt that I was done with my dinner. 

Reached Bangalore at 9:00 pm and home safely. It was a great ride after many years and it made me much more special with my solo ride first time as usually I was used to travel with the companion of my friends or colleagues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Ugadi !!!

Arangetram

ಹರಿಪ್ರಸಾದ್ ಅವರಿಂದ ಒಂದು ಚುಟುಕು ಕವನ..... !!!!!